Friday, April 25, 2014

Adventure awaits.

So, somewhere back a couple of years ago, after a recent trip to UK, France and Italy with my bestie and her husband,  I decided I needed to live abroad at some point in my life.  Needed to.  I think most people who travel to Europe have those thoughts.   Unfortunately,  I don't have a super awesome job with a branch overseas that I can suddenly develop an interest in a project they're working on and transfer over.  So to make this happen,  I had to find another way.  I looked into employment options, joining the Peace Corp, volunteering at orphanages, until I hit on the idea of teaching English.  I only have a limited amount of time, money, and skills; finding the opportunity that made the most of those three factors was really the trick. And I have several friends who have gone that route and all had great experiences.  It seemed like a good option.  So I tossed the idea around for a while, and did some research on programs I could go through.

Then,  a little over a year ago,  I started a new job,  and it seemed to me that EVERYONE here had lived abroad!!  What was holding me back?  I had found a program called GeoVisions that I really liked the look of.  Lots of information, good reviews, they looked legit, but I hadn't applied.  Keep in mind that, at this point, I'm basically telling everyone within earshot that I really want to do go abroad and teach English.  Just not to the point of actually doing it, I suppose.

I finally got the kick in the pants I needed when I had a random encounter, at dinner with a good friend of mine.  She had a houseguest staying with her who had lived and traveled the world over.  Her motto was basically to follow your bliss.  I walked away from that dinner with the decision that I would just go for this.  What's the worst that could happen?!  Besides, you know, lost and alone or dead in a foreign country.  But whateves, the alternative was a lifetime of "what ifs" and unfulfilled dreams!  Not to be overdramatic or anything.  But really.. unfulfilled dreams, foreverrrrr......

So I decided to go to France to teach English.
So I sent in my application. 
So alright then.  Here we go.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps this is the 80 year old in me but "lost and alone or dead in a foreign country" might give me pause before heading out.
    I am not what one might call adventurous.

    ReplyDelete